There is something more important than my life, and that is the life of the other.
About Popular Education for People's Empowerment (PEPE)
What is popular education? Popular Education means â€œliberativeâ€ education. It is relevant. It is needed. It is an education that exposes and then breaks the cultural and structural bonds hindering peopleâ€™s enlightenment and empowerment. Pop-Ed is education for social change. It challenges the traditional way of â€˜teachingâ€™ people, an â€˜educationâ€™ that makes them passive learners; one that silences them and makes them conform. It challenges attitudes and social structures that oppress people.
Popular Education takes a political stand on the side of marginalized people everywhere. It aims to empower the poor and those who have been kept out of decision-making structures. It does this by helping them become aware of their own oppression. Pop-Ed also conscientizes people. It is about collective learning towards action for change. â€œPop-Ed critiques conventional modes of thinking, opens itself to critique, restores peopleâ€™s dignity and humanity, poses questions about our very existence, is a venue for â€˜intersubjectivityâ€™, recognizes the importance of the non-rational, involves both the intellectual and the emotional, is creative and reflective, and is averse to any totaling framework.â€
PEPE envisions a society that promotes and guarantees access to education that is:
- holistic, authentic and interactive, a society that is built upon the critical thinking and leadership of its own members, one that espouses gender equality among all its members
- a democratic society â€” with participatory governance and decision-making systems in place, one that is built upon solid communities of people
- an empowered mass that enjoys equitable access to the countryâ€™s resources
- a society that promotes the realization of full human potentials and respects, completely and without discrimination, all human life
- one that actively pursues ecological, cultural and economic sustainability
PEPEâ€™s mission is to provide a catalyst for building a distinct Popular Education Movement as an integral part of the overall movement towards Peopleâ€™s Empowerment, Sustainable Development, and Genuine Democracy.
PEPEâ€™s Address: Champaca St., Sauyo, Quezon City
Contact No. 0459157521631